Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Thirumurgan & Karthikaa are the Chess Champs







It was Thirumurugan's week as he took everyone by surprise - his class, his opponents and everyone in SNSCE. A slow learner in academics, he created a furore when he represented his class for the Chess Tournament. But he delivered an equally stunning performance to beat Krishnakumar of I CSE. On the other hand, crowd favourite Velmurugan of I ECE had an easy outing against the over cautious MG Ravichandran of I IT. The final clash of the Murugans' was an absorbing contest. When you thought Vel had an edge over Thiru, the latter bounced in from nowhere with a surprising move that left Vel stunned. In another 5 minutes, Thiru stunned one and all with a checkmate.

In the girls side, the final was a real roller coaster. Dhanya of I CSE and Kaarthika of I ECE expectedly made it to finals making short work of Nazimul Zafira(I IT) and Gowthami (I EEE) respectively. The final was labelled the battle of intellects and for most of the time in finals, Dhanya ruled the roost but a poor move cost her he queen and thereby the match. Karthikaa ensured that she made Dhanya's mistake count.
The competition was a reminder of the fact that if you made the right moves you would definetely win.